Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Child diagnosed with extremely high eye power. Can he concentrate in studies with this power?

Dear Doctor, yesterday based on my son s class teacher observation, I checked his eye power. Shockingly they told it is -11 and -8 (after applying eye drops). He is just 3+ years old. He is healthy boy and eat well. Whatz the reason for this and how we treat this ? My worry is can he concentrate on his studies with this power ? My eye power is .25 and .5 for the past 11 years. Can you pl clarify ? thanks in advance
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  71
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Your son has got high refractive error in the form of pathological myopia.
Myopia is a common refractive error, but high refractive error is usually because of hereditary, developmental and genetic factors.
He can concentrate on studies with correction of his refractive error. Since in children eye ball show rapid development he needs to use glasses regularly and get his eye power check up frequently at 6 months interval. He need to undergo ophthalmoscopy and examination of the peripheral retina to look for complications associated with high myopia like retinal thinning, retinal holes...
Once he reaches 20 or 21 years he can undergo corrective surgery like lasik, phakic intraocular lens implantation.
Thank you
Answered: Mon, 22 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor