Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Child diagnosed with cone dystrophy, HM degeneration of eye. What treatment can be given?

Dear Sir My daughter “Aashi” is 3 years old. Recently she has been diagnosed with Cone Dystrophy & HM Degeration of eyes. People say that there is no treatment of this. While surfing on internet - I have seen your article on website and went through it. I do see a ray of hope. Could you please guide me what type of treatment can be given to her to increase/correct her vision? Need your support ! Regards Ashish Chandigarh, India 0000
Asked On : Mon, 5 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  116
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Nov 2012
The children with cone dystrophy are likely to have subnormal vision. At all cost she should wear her refractive correction, her diet should be such that she has good intake of vitamin A rich and antioxidants in food. Antioxidants have shown to help such patients, but in such small children they should be given under medical supervision. Gene therapy is another treatment on which research is going on. These children are likely to have low vision, so they should be trained according to their special needs. School staff should be appraised about their problem and family members should always keep this in millpond. Coming four years till the age of seven years are crucial for visual development in brain , see to that she should be seeing in best possible mannera and doing all sort of work that is visually demanding eg even the computer games etc. an article on disease cone dystrophy by Kellogg's university is detailed and good. You may read it.
Take care
Answered: Wed, 28 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor