Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Child diagnosed with Jacob's syndrome. Suffering academically and socially due to the height. Need help

My son has recently been diagnosed with Jacob s syndrome . His real downfalls are academically and socially. He is an amazing kid with a huge heart , but since he stands 7 foot 1 inch he seems to be a target. What can we do to help him fit in some where with kids his own age. School is a strugge both academically and socially. Help!
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for your query.

Jacob’s syndrome is characterized by an extra copy of the Y chromosome in each of a male's cells.

Males with this condition usually have normal sexual development and are able to father children.

Signs and symptoms vary widely among affected males and may include being taller than average; an increased risk of learning disabilities and delayed speech and language skills and behavioral and emotional difficulties.

A small percentage of males with 47, XYY syndrome are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders.

Most cases are not inherited.

I would advise you please find a medical geneticist or genetic counsellor in your area.

Help from child psychologist or educational psychologist would be valuable.

Hope you found the information useful.
Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor