Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Child diagnosed with Fibrous displacia of cheek bone and Cafees disease. When should I start his treatment?

Hi, My son is 7 years old and was diagnoised with swelling on his left cheek and a brown patch on the outside, the swelling is also visible inside on his right cheeck and upper Jaw covering the from teeth area as well, his front teeth are have already fallen off but I do not see the new teeth coming back. I was advised by a Pediatric Neuro Surgeon that he has Fibrous Displacia of cheek bone and Caffees disease (due to brown patches on his body all over, largest being on thr right check), the advice given was to monitor the kid and get him treated once he crossed 15 yrs of age. Can some one advice if this is the right approach or should I be getting him treated rightaway.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
hello dear,
your doctor may be right in asking you to weight till your son gets 15 years of age or older.
as this disease needs to be treated immediately only if its rapidly progressive, causing compression of eye balls, or hearing loss ar any other difficulty in the child.

generally this aggressive form is rarely encountered and in most of the cases it is very slowly progressive and of benign nature. this generally grows in the growing years of the child under effect of growth hormones.

so even if you get it resected at this stage it may recur again and your son may require a repeat resection. so let it grow to its final size when it's growth stops and then you can get it done.

meanwhile, you should be under regular followup under your doctor to watch for any change in the nature of the swelling and to undertake any corrective steps if needed.
hope i was able to answer your query satisfactorily
thank you
Answered: Fri, 16 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor