Child developed chesty cough after adenoidectomy and grommet surgery. Is this normal?

My 3 year old daughter had adenoidectomy and grommet surgery 10 days ago. She had a slight temperature for approx 6 days afterwards which has since gone, but she developed a chesty cough (day and night time but seems worse in the night) which has been present since about day 4 after the op (i.e. for the last week). Is this normal? Is there anything we should do? Thanks.
Thu, 26 Dec 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
It is possible that your daughter developed an upper respiratory tract infection.
Do not worry.
See an ENT to come to a diagnosis. A chest infection needs to be ruled out.
Till then give her plenty of warm fluids.
Avoid cold foods and air conditioning.
If possible give her some steam inhalation.
She may require an antibiotic and a cough suppressant.
Regards, dr Kishori.