Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Child developed a red dry area on both cheeks. Putting pure petroleum. What could this be, what to do about it?

Hi, my 3 year old is in the process of potty training. About 3 days ago I took her off night time pull-ups. She has made a few accidents over night, but my main concern is that she has developed a red, dry area on both of her bottom cheeks. What could this be and what can I do about it. I have just been putting pure petroleum jelly on it.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  11
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Dear user,

I think you are doing the right thing. Petroleum jelly is an inert, moisturising substance, so regardless of the diagnosis, at least we know that it won't cause more harm.

Okay, so the rash seems to be either nappy dermatitis (more likely) or a fungal infection (less likely). On the other hand, it may turn out to be just a different manifestation of what is known as seborrhoeic dermatitis. If the rashes don't change within the next few days, you might want to do one of the following: take him to the doctor for an official consultation, or try an application or two of a mild steroid cream (if you have one) and see the result of the same. If it works out, then the diagnosis of nappy dermatitis or seborrhoeic dermatitis is most likely.

- Dr. Taher

Answered: Tue, 28 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor