Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Child complains of sporadic leg pain, labs showed high ESR level. Next course of action?

my daughter is 7yrs old and complained of legs hurting this morning and has been a sporadic complaint over the past year. This triggered me to take her to the doctor today and a a blood test was carried out. Her ESR level was above normal at 37. I was told that anything upto 20 is Normal. could you please advise wht this Above Normal rate could indicate in a 7 year old, and wht should be my next course of action?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  90
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
The leg pains are common during this age , called growing pains and gentle massage is sufficient to get relief from pain. And if severe pain is there ibuprofen can be given in prescribed dosage.
ESR is nonspecific test and if it is elevated, some times further evaluation is required depending on any significant history and physical examination findings like mantux test to rule out tuberculosis, Hemoglobin to look for anemia .
Consult your Pediatrician with reports and if required depending on the clinical scenario of your child he will advise.
Hope i have answered your query.
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Aarti Gupta's  Response
thanku for your query,
well it is a type of growing pain , which occurs in legs ,generally they complain pain in evening or in night and get fine in morning .it is a type of muscular pain , which gets fine by gentle rubbing ,hot fomentation and giving over the counter pain killers like crocin.
But if it persists for days or associated with pain in joints or swelling in joints, tenderness somewhere,or history of injury u need to show it to your doctor.
well ESR can be raised in any cause like inflammation , anemia ,infection etc.
to rule out this get a complete haemogram done .
i hope i have answered your question as per your satisfaction
god bless
Dr Aarti
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor