Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Child accidentally swallowed beef jerky stick, immediately complained of chest pain, seems to be fine now. Any suggestions?

Hi, My 3 and half year old was keeping a portion of beef jerky stick in his mouth, started jumping and accidentally swallowed it before I could warn him. He started crying holding his chest saying it hurts there . He said he didnt chew the beef. Its been 24 hrs and he doesnt complain anymore. Should I be alert about this situation? My email is: YYYY@YYYY Thanks for yr advice! Nicole
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
There are chances of impaction of the the beef in the esophagus causing obstruction causing chest pain.
Or some time it will slip into trachea by causing airway obstruction which is dangerous condition.
You consult immediately your Pediatrician or Emergency to rule out the impaction of the lump and to rule out any airway compression.
Hope i have answered your query.
Answered: Mon, 21 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Diana Divakar's  Response
Hi Nicole,
Thanks for opting to post your query and for giving us this opportunity to clarify your doubts.
Well, since its 24hrs now that your son doesnt have any complaints, he most probably just gulped it down. There is a possiblity that whenever children gulp down anything from their mouth so rapidly, it can enter into their air passage and cause breathing difficulty. That also depends on the size of the stick. Anyways, he should have had at least some symptoms of pain or breathlessness by now. Since he seems to be well, I dont think there is anything to worry. I would still advise you to keep a watch on him for any new signs of forceful vomiting, cough, breathing difficulty for at least a day. He should be absolutely well though.
I hope I have been successful in allaying all your anxieties and you have got the answer to your question. Take care and stay healthy.
Answered: Mon, 21 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician, Surgery Dr. Anand Sinha's  Response
Thank you for your query
If the child has no difficulty in swallowing, no excessive salivation or drooling, no more chest pain, no fever, then in all probability things should be alright. But a visit to a pediatric surgeon is recommended.
Usually once the food bolus has passed the esophagus / food pipe, it gets digested and does not cause much problem. But very rarely it may remain lodged in the esophagus and then cause problems at a later stage.
Hope that helps
God bless you
Answered: Mon, 21 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor