Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Child. Fever, runny nose, little blood in mucus. Serious?

Hi. My 3 year old son has had a fever of upto 103 for 3 days and from the second day he was showing cold/flu symptoms. His fever is down now, but he has a little blood in his nasal mucus. He blows his nose as it is very runny and it does not appear as if he strains very hard when he does this, do just normal pressure then wipes. Is there anything to worry about?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  90
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

It is not unusual to have a little nose bleed during upper respiratory tract infection. Crusting of the mucus and its removal can damage the nasal lining which can bleed. If the bleeding is copious or continuous then we need to worry. You may apply some bland ointment over the nasal septum.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son an early recovery.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
It is not unusual to have small little amount of blood in some children with flu. However, its a concern when the amount of blood is excessive, or persists after the flu symptoms have passed. A clinical evaluation might be necessary to know if the child is bleeding elsewhere, or only at the level of the nostrils. Some other associated conditions like allergic rhinitis and nasal polyps could also cause bleeding. It is actually rare in this case to talk of a platelet deficiency or clotting disorder.
My suggestion is appropriately managing the flu. Remember excessive dryness or use of certain local anti histaminic drugs to control the flu could irritate the very fragile nasal mucosa and cause some bleeding.
I suggest you stay cal for a few days and observe. In case of persistence or an increase in the intensity of bleeding, you might need to consult your primary care physician.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor