Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Chestpain, heart murmur. Had same symptoms 12 years ago. Serious?

Hi, I ve had a heart murmur since I was younger. My last heart echo and my last problem I ve had with it was about 12 years ago. I was 5. I am now starting to have the same problems as before. My chest hurts. Like a pulsing pain throughout the night and a few times during the day. I just want to know if I need to go get another echo or is it serious?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  14
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting on HCM,
I think you should definitely not only get a cardiac ultrasound and/or EKG done, you should also get a cardiologist's opinion. It would have been nice, if you were able to mention what condition was diagnosed 12 years ago when the echo was done. If the heart murmur actually had a cause, it may have been a congenital problem given your age or a possible valvular/endocardial infection such as endocarditis (fever would have been normally been part of the presenting symptoms at that time). If your early heart murmur was a benign paediatric heart murmur (functional). Functional murmurs are an important consideration in the precordial examination of an infant or child.
Now that you are older, it is paramount for you to consult a cardiologist.

Hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor