Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Chest x ray shows right upper lobe infiltrates and fibrosis. Is this TB ?

i have undergo for medical examination yesterday in st lukes, and the doctors find out on my chest xray was there have a problem on my right upper lobe infiltrates and fibrusis is this a serious case? they asked me to collect sputum for 3 consecutive days and it should need to cultured for 8 weeks before they find out if its TB
Asked On : Tue, 21 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  499
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
This could most likely be tuberculosis chest.
Presence of tubercular bacilli confirms the diagnosis of TB.
That is the reason your sputum is being sent to isolate the tubercular bacilli.
Once the bacilli is identified,diagnosis of TB is confirmed.
This is not a serious problem.
One has to take proper course of anti tubercular medicine to get completely cured of it.
Answered: Tue, 21 Aug 2012
Pulmonologist Dr. Shashi Dangwal's  Response
Infiltrates and fibrosis in the upper lobes is an xray finding mainly in tb. It could be old or fresh tb.. You have rightly been asked to get sputum for tb test done. You can also get a montoux test done. I suggest you follow you doctor`s advice as tb treatment has to be taken under supervision.
Answered: Thu, 23 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor