Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Chest x-ray showed small fibrotic lesion. Diagnosed TB. Had prolonged cough, fever and headache. Treatment available?

hi, i am 23 old chest X-ray result says:- left pleural effusion with small fibrotic lesion left mid zone and bulky right hilum. In my blood test my esr count is 13. and sutum test says Z N STAIN(sputum)- ACID FAST BACILLI NOT SEEN. i am having consiten cough for past 3 months and fever and doctor says its TB and will take 9 months to get cure..can u tell me the best treatment for it and can it be cure earlier than 9 months..
Fri, 13 Jul 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pulmonologist 's  Response
hello prateek mittal

thank you for giving us a chance to help you.

you are suffering from left sided pleural effusion. the fibrotic lesion on left side could be an old healed one or could be a calcified lymph node.
you may ask your specialist to drain out the fluid and send it for further biochemical and microbiological examination to determine the cause of effusion. since you have not mentioned the country of your residence, i am assuming that you are from India and in this subcontinent, tuberculosis is the most common cause of pleural effusion.
you will be required to take antitubercular drugs for a period of six months as per the DOTS programme run by Government of India. if you wish to take it privately, various formulations are available. you have to take a 4drug combination for initial 2months and 3drugs combination for another 4months. i would like to tell you that a complete treatment for 6months will result in a permanent cure of the disease.

wish you a good health and success

any further query is welcome.

thanking you
Dr. Gurpreet Narula
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor