Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Chest pain on left side, pain in left arm, shoulder. Family history of hypertension. Emergency condition?

I m having chest paint on the left side, right into my heart from yesterday and from today AM i m getting a pain sensation in my left arm , its in my left shoulder and biceps n kind of flows towards my hand making my left arm feel heavy and tingly sometimes. I checked my BP and its 135/90. I m 34 years old, non smoker non drinker with a family history of hypertension/heart ailments. Should I visit an emergency right away or wait till morning?
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your description is highly suggestive.
It should be investigated as HEART PAIN – UNLESS PROVED OTHERWISE – especially with a strong family history.

In suspected heart attack, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.

Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise
Go to ER / get yourself assessed / assured.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Sat, 26 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. R.A. Singh's  Response
Hi Enigmatic,
Thanks for writing your query.

You should get yourself examined at the Emergency Department and get an ECG done.
Heart pain can radiate towards left arm. Since you have a family history of hypertension and cardiac ailments, you should be extra cautious.

You can take one tablet of isosorbide dinitrate 5 mg sublingually for immediate relief of pain along with one tablet of Aspirin 150 mg with an antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg.

Also get your blood tested for cardiac enzymes and lipid profile.
If the problem persists, get yourself examined by a cardiologist.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Sat, 26 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor