Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Chest pain, cannot stand. Had stroke, hypertension. Should I go to ER?

Hello ... My mother complained about severe chest pain and couldn t barely stand this was At 6 pm est time. Last year she almost had a stroke and was hospitalized for a week And was treated for hypertension . She has given me a lot of scares, but tonight s symptoms were similar To last years. I purchased a blood pressure automatic machine And all readings indicated that her blood pressure was at 150 s and 92 d. My uncle told me last year that when the bottom number Meaning the dias number is over 90 it s risky. Should I take her to the emergency?
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Yes you should take her to the emergency room. A history of a stroke and hypertension indicates that she is at risk for a cardiovascular event ( such as heart attack ).
In addition some women may not present with the normal expected symptoms of a heart attack and this is why it is often missed or misdiagnosed.

The symptoms of a heart attack are: severe chest pain- usually central, heavy or crushing, it may radiate to the neck or left side
shortness of breath
anxiety or feeling of impending doom
profuse sweating
some persons may only recall history of indigestion

There is usually a high index of suspicion regarding women.

Even if the pain is resolved at this present time because women can present atypically, you should consider taking her for evaluation.
The doctor will take the history and examine- check the pulse , listen to the heart sounds and lung, check for any other potential causes of chest pain.A ECG and blood tests may be done.

I hope this information is helpful to you
Answered: Wed, 15 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor