Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Chest congestion and pain on eating certain foods. Family history of gall bladder removal. Any suggestions?

Lately after eating salad or foods rich in "flavor" it feels like the food is stuck in my chest and won't go down. At times I may have a sharp shooting pain in the very same area. I took a round of Prilosec for 10 days and felt better when taking. Both my mother and sister have had their gallbladders removed... I do not suffer from any other pain other than what is described. Sometimes eating certain foods is what triggers the discomfort. Any suggestions?.?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  15
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Your symtoms indicate esophsgitis. esophagitis is inflammation of ophageal mucosa . it can be allergic, infective or reflux, due to forceful swallowing of hard substance ( a big pill) etc.
To manage-
Have a bland diet at room tempreture., with sips of liquids to assist swallowing.
Actually cold milk is ideal . Prilosec is omeprezol -You can take it along with dietary management . it can be supplimented by b complex syrup.
Avoid sleeping within 4 hrs of food.
If you have burning /pain /please raise head end when you sleep.
You should oberve this regeim for 10 days & if no releaf- pl. consult a gastroenterologist.
PLEASE do not worry.
these symptoms are not suggestive of gall bladder problem.
You can avoid gall stone formation by
- maintaining ideal weight by taking healthy food, exercizes
-overweight increases the risk of gall stones if you realy need to reduce-go slow. do it by reducing exessive calories,& exersizes.
pl stick to a definete eating schedule . do not skip a meal.
Take care, Thank you.

Answered: Wed, 26 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi, it appears to be due to gastric irritation, but there may also be gallbladder problem as well.
I advise you to consult a gasroenterologist for diagnosis and treatment. you may need to have gastroscopy and U.S.scanning for confirmation.
I to my patients with such symptoms prescribe omeprazole and domperidone till the investigations are done. Thank you.
Answered: Wed, 26 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor