Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Chest X-ray shows calcific density in left hilur region. Safe to work in severe weather conditions?

Hi XXXXX. would need some suggestions on the Chest X-ray examination. Have gone through at a medical diagnostic centre. They had raised doubt on Old calcific density left hilur region. could you please let me know what would be the cause & what are tests that i need to undergo for confirmation on any kind of disease & severity of the disease It is advisable to travel to xxxxx countries for working in severe weather conditions Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  391
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pulmonologist 's  Response
calcific density usually means healed lesion. its usually a healed tubercular lesion. you must go for tests to rule out active tuberculosis or its latent infection..if it is negative you should go for pulmonary function test, a simple non invasive test for final decision to work in extreme conditions.
Answered: Wed, 27 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pulmonologist Dr. Kannuvellil E Rajan 's  Response

An old calcified spot over the hilum of lung is an indication of a healed problem. The cause for the spot is difficult to guess without further details. Common causes include childhood tuberculosis infection (part of healed primary complex), fungal infections, and certain occupational diseases among others.

I presume you are a non-smoker, in otherwise good health, but for this calcium shadow. If so, no further investigation is warranted. A CT scan of thorax will give more light to the exact nature of the spot. As it is not giving you any trouble, this test is not mandatory at present.

A lung function test (PFT) may help to confirm that your lung is functioning well. You can travel or undertake any sort of work, even under tough climatic conditions.

Hope you succeed in your endeavors. Thanks a ton for using
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Sunil 's  Response

Thanks for your query.

Hilar calcification denotes healed infections and some times it may refer some serious causes. Any infection or inflammation in Lung can cause enlargement of lymphnodes present in lung and by the long run lymphnode heals in calcification giving a dense impression on chest X-ray.

Tuberculosis needs to be ruled out first. Beside that other infections like histoplasmosis,varicella pneumonia,calcium and phosphate metabolism abnormalities or any other metabolic disorders should be assessed promptly. Some occupations like working in dust or coal mines are also related to such conditions.

You need to visit a pulmonologist to assess you physically and he may advise you for CT, MRI or blood techniques, however biopsy is almost final diagnostic method to reach a diagnosis. Once underlying cause is diagnosed it would be managed accordingly. In most stances it can be treated with antibiotics or steroids. sometimes it may need to be surgically removed.

Hope it helps.

Take Care!
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor