Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Cheek swollen, broken tooth underneath the swelling. What can i do to take care of it?

my right side of the cheek is swollen a bit, i have a broken tooth underneath the swelling . i m working to get my status number and health number to see the dentist . I don t know if they will help me with the problem. it doesn t hurt as much today and the swelling went down a little. I m concerned it will get worst if i dont do anything about it. what can i do today to take care of it?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  1530
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Infected broken tooth can lead to pain and soreness of cheeks and jaws.Constant cheek irritation by broken tooth can also cause pain and tenderness. If tooth is broken, then you need treatment for your broken tooth. If nerve of the tooth is not exposed, then tooth can be restored with dental filling or crown but if nerve of the tooth is exposed or necrosed, then root canal treatment followed by dental crown is required for the tooth. If tooth is badly mutilated, then post and core procedure is required after root canal therapy. If broken tooth is unrestorable, then tooth extraction followed by replacement of missing tooth with dental implants or dental bridge is required. Only pain meds will be of little help. Hot compresses are not indicated as they will aggravate the swelling. You can do warm saline rinses to reduce the swelling.You need to get treatment done for infected tooth. If you have cost constrains, then you can visit a dental school where treatment is done by dental students under supervision of experienced dentists. You can also look for free dental clinics near you or can talk to your local dentist if you can pay in installments for treatment. By the time you visit your dentist, you can avoid eating from side of broken tooth. You can also apply orajel for some relief. Maintain good oral hygiene to avoid any secondary infections
Answered: Sun, 10 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response
Thanks for asking query,

You hav a broken tooth associated with swelling in the cheek region, this swelling can be because of periapical infection , you need to take an x-ray to evaluate the correct periapical condition of the tooth.

At home you can start with antibiotics odoxil 500mg three times a day for three days.

Take saline water gargles three times a day.

Avoid eating any hard food stuffs from affected side.

Brush twice with a soft bristle tooth brush, use 0.2% chlorhexidine mouthwash solution twice daily.


Answered: Sun, 10 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

thanks for posting your query.
i have read your concern.

the swelling appeared on cheek is due to the broken teeth underlying the gums.

evenif the swelling has subsided now,it may reappear after a period of time.
I Would suggest you to get the broken teeth extracted as soon as possible.
the broken teeth if retained,can cause periapical infection,abscess and thereby can affect systemic health too.
antibiotics complete course has to be adminstered.
maintain good oral hygiene.
please take careof health of gums as well as teeth.
dr.bindiya bhaskar
Answered: Sun, 10 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response

Thanks for sharing your concern.

swelling and broken teeth are indicative of underlying infection.

for immediate remedy you can start with antibiotics and analgesics for three days,but this is not the permanent cure.

you must visit your dentist ,get yourself clinically evaluated and get x ray done.

After that suitable measures can be taken to save the tooth and eliminate the complete
meanwhile maintain good oral hygiene.
hope it helps.

Answered: Sat, 9 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor