Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Cavity in the tooth, causing sensitivity. Taking medicines, no relief. Solution?

I have a cavity and I can t get it fixed for 2 weeks. The pain comes and goes but it s worse with hot food or beverages. It s a throbbing nerve pain and I have been using hypericum 30ch and it s been effective but I think I may need something else in the evening because I didn t get as much relief this evening with the remedy.
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response
well the only treatment for cavity is its removal followed by restoration.
depending on the extent of tooth decay treatment is decided..... like for instance if it hs reached upto pulp (the inner most part of the tooth) then only root canal treatment can save the tooth & if it is limited up-to enamel of superficial dentin then it can be restored easily.

it is advised that u consult a dentist as soon as possible & get your cavity examined. get An IOPAR done it would to exact extent of tooth destruction.

in your case since you cant visit a dentist for 2 weeks you should take any anti-inflammatory drug that would provide you some relive.
Answered: Tue, 25 Dec 2012
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
If there is cavity in the tooth, then you need to get it don’t get it restored, then it will lead to deepening of the cavity and severe pain. Home remedies like placing a clove over that site or putting a cotton swab with turmeric powder on the cavity will provide some pain relief, but it will not kill the infection.. To kill the infection, your dentist will remove the decayed portion of the tooth and will restore it with filling material. As of now, you can use some of the commercially available temporary filling material to fill the cavity and to avoid any food accumulates in the cavity which will aggravate the pain.
Answered: Wed, 5 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
It depends on depth of cavity that what should be treatment plan.
If its in enamel then it can be restored but if it has reached pulp then you would require RCT.
Get an IOPA done & start its treatment because even if its in enamel then it may progress down leading to pain later on.
Consult your dentist & get it treated as soon as possible.

Take Care
Answered: Mon, 24 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Chaithanyaa Nemaly's  Response
Hello there....medications would not provide any sort of relief to the sensitivity are advised to use de-sensitising paste to have some relief.... if the cavity is very deep it cause acute pulpitis...resulting in pain...if the decay involves the pulp (innermost layer of tooth) root canal treatment needs to be carried can use analgesics in case of pain or use desensitizing paste incase of sensitivity....
Answered: Mon, 24 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor