Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Cannot move mouth or body, hand becomes claw-shaped after drinking alcohol. Worried

My mum for a while now for some reason every time she drinks a lot of alcahol has a funny few minutes where she looks like she,s had a stroke ,her mouth won t move n her body can t much,and her hand goes into aclaw shape but then after a few seconds she comes out of it,this can happen afew times a night and is normal now to people around her but I m worried its something deeper,plz help,Emma.
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  165
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
It is not at all normal to have such episodes of posturing of hand, motionlessness. It probably is a seizure. Heavy alcohol binge is very well known to precipitate seizures. She needs to be evalauted for the same. At the very least she should avoid this habit of heavy alcohol intake. Sometimes a small seizure may propagate and become full blown, which can be life threatening event.
Good luck.
Answered: Tue, 14 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor