Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Cancer. Used steroid. Diagnosed with avascular necrosis. Had hip replacement surgery. Suggest?

My father, age 78, has been diagnosed with avascular necrosis due to steroid treatment of cancer . He also has a broken hip. His team of doctors cannot find any way to help him since he is not strong enough for hip replacement surgery. He has had a couple of heart attacks and quadruple bypass about 14 years ago. He also has an abdominal aortic stent . As you could imagine, he is in alot of pain and looking for relief. He is planning on trying medical marijuana to alleviate his pain and in hopes of increasing circulation to the femoral tip. Is this a safe for him to try? He is very determined to try it immediately. Please help me to know how to help him.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  75
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Oncologist, Radiation 's  Response
Sorry to hear about your father's condition. chronic use of steroids can lead to problems like avascular necrosis of femoral head, in this case surgery can only relieve the pain. You should better consult all the specialists like cardioanaesthesiologist, orthopaeditian, cardiac surgeon for discussion regarding possibilities of operation, otherwise you may also consult pain specialist for chronic pain management.
Answered: Sun, 10 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor