Can you put yourself in cardiac arrest?

Or is that impossible. I saw it in a movie and wanted to know if it was possible
Thu, 12 Sep 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

This very thought may mean Depression...
It dictates the need for immediate Psychiatric assessment and assistance
Giving more information is like abetting the attitude!

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

mangala's  Response
I am not sure if you mean - can you administer a substance to yourself that would induce a cardiac arrest OR by thinking about it real hard, being in emotional distress, or by performing some extraordinary physical activity, could you induce cardiac arrest? You could potentially administer any number of substances that would cause the heart to go into an arrhythmia, or go too fast, or stop...all potentially precipitating an arrest. This could be done by mouth or by IV or via electricity. In terms of making it happen by running too hard or having an emotional event. In short, you would need to have some heart disease there already in order for this to happen. Therefore if you had a young healthy heart, it would be virtually impossible to induce a cardiac arrest by anything you did or by any amount of emotional distress.