• question-icon

Can valvular abnormalities cause abortion?

A 28 year old female complains of severe chest pain and upon going to the ED it is found that she suffered a minor MI. Angiography reveals normal circulation and flow to the heart. An ECHO reveals valvular abnormalities. Notable point in the history is that the patient has been trying to conceive since 2 years but failed because of spontaneous abortions cause unknown. Probable DIAGNOSIS ??
Wed, 7 Jan 2015
Cardiologist 's  Response

Valvular heart disease doesn't cause abortion. If there is severe valvular heart disease it can lead to heart failure during the pregnancy, but not spontaneous abortion.
For abortions you should look for some other diseases such as genetic disorders, infections etc

Hope I could help you