Can ultrasound scan detect cervical cancer ?

can cervical cancer be detected through ultrasound
Thu, 19 Jan 2012
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,  
If there is a growth it can be seen by USG but for early detection pap's smear and colposcopy is to be done.

hi! I am 52 yrs old, a mother of 5 & currently undergoing investigations for cervical cancer. I had lower abdominal pain on & off with vaginal discharges (watery) since few months. Accidentally it was found out during an abdominal ultrasound: Uterus normal sized measures 6.2 x 5.1 cms. Endometrium - 1.31 cm with hypoechoic shadows most likely blood. Rt. ovary - 2.01 x 1.87 cms. Lt. ovary - 1.67 x 1.15 cm. No adnexal masses detected. No free fluid in the cul de sac. Cervix appears normal The fluid in my uterus was removed by D&C wherein a biopsy was done & here is the finding: Uterine cervix, cervical biopsy from cervical growth: - Invasive moderately to poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma with glandular extension. - No definite vascular invasion seen in this biopsy specimen. My OBG told me that it is a stage 2 Cevical CA. She ordered for me CT scan & MRI, both with contrasts. here is my CT result: Impression: Bulky uterine cervix Multiple non-enhancing lesions in both lobes of liver ? cysts ?? metastasis. Ultrasound correlation is recommended for differentiation Low attenuating lesion of fat density in the right renal lower pole possibly lipoma My MRI will be resulted after 2 days. I am very anxious & afraid about this. Can you help me more on this? What is the next best thing to do?

I have been having heavy periods with pain pain during sex inflamed cervix and I had ultrasound and vag ultrasound showed free fluid ruptured cyst and blond filled cysts on my left ovary and was told it could be cervical cancer with my cervix being inflamed

im 22 one child about 175cm tall 70kgs i smoke havent had a pap smear in four years i have noticed my cervix is bright red swollen very sore i have back pain lower pelvic pain pain during discharge very tired and constantly feeling sick i dont have any sexually transmitted diseases because they have already tested that but im worried its cancer they didnt give me a pap smear but have sent me to get an ultrasound will an ultrasound show up cancer of the cervixs

Recent questions on  Cancer screening

I just had a mammogram and they detected something in it. I have breast implants. This has happened before but it turned out to be nothing first time, this time its different - I have swelling and some pain under my arm. They are sending me to another doctor, I am scared and don't know what to expect.

i am 29 and my GP done a breast examination recently due to me experiencing some pain and a pulling sort of feeling in one breast and also swollen near my underarm, i now have to have an ultrasound should i be worried that he is sending me for this?

my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago. she had had a standard mammogram which picked it up. 3 years previous she had a clear mammogram. she couldnt feel any lumps herself, but after the mammogram she was called in to say there was something wrong. she was called in for a biopsy. at the biopsy she was told, that she had at least two tumours in same breast and when they pulled the fluid off that she had cancer. they didnt even need to send it off anywhere to tell her this. she then went for a mastectomy,and they removed her breast and lymph nodes. she was told 22 lymph nodes were cancerous (i dont know how many she had, if any, over and above the 22 ) and it was aggressive. she had chemo then radiation followed by a daily pill (eg. armidex but im unsure). i cant establish the full facts but when she does have a check up they don't take any blood test. she had a premliminay bone scan when diagnosed and was told it wasnt in her bones. she doesnt say much about it,but i have noticed that recently she has left the room feeling sick and my son has told me that she has also been clutching her throat. i really dont have a clue what the prognosis is and am obviously worried

I have had this pain in my left breast for the last few days, I have noticed some changes in the nipple area. I don t feel any lumps in the breast, but the upper area of the breast feels firm in areas. I have had normal mammograms, I am due to have my yearly in August. Should I consult my OB GYN now to have this checked or wait till my next mammogram?

My husband has postprandial hypotension . It he has fallen, and sometimes he is lightheaded almost half the day. Dr.s don't seem very concerned about diagnosing the cause , even though it is debilitating. He is 65 yrs old five foot five and 123...

My mum had bowel cancer screening test and it showed blood in her sample. Mum had a colonoscopy and this has shown what they is a cancerous tumour in the rectum. They say it is very small at 4cm this seems big to me. Biopsies were taken. They said...

Hello. Worried about oral cancer . Used smokless tonacco for ~7-8 years. Quit 2-3 weeks ago. Drink 4-6 beers a day. Also likely have HPV as I used to get cold sores as a teenager. I noticed some sores on my tongue (picture 1). They have been there...