Can the epiglottis cause a sore throat and does it block my son's airway ?

Hi When my son was six he complained of a sore throat when he showed us in his mouth we saw this weird like crobra shape head appearing from the rear of his mouth. We soon found out from the doc that this was his epiglottis and nothing to worry about. Over a week or so it went away. However 2 years on and yesterday he tells me that he has a sore throat look again and there it is the epiglottis standing proud. This is causing a gagging effect on him and I really dont like it. Can he choke? Will it block his airways? The doc again says dont worry but ity cant be normal surly.
Wed, 11 Jan 2012