Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Can surgery improves polio condition?

i m 32 yrs, man. i m working in a desk job. i hv polio in my right leg, which is weak n 3 inchs shorter than left leg. Can u suggest if some surgery can improve my condition.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Mar 2010
Answers:  4 Views:  870
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response

Definitely, there are various corrective surgeries for this condition. But unfortunately, there is little that can be done about the polio paralysis/weakness.

Orthopedician will be able to offer you limb lengthening surgeries.

Answered: Tue, 16 Mar 2010
  Anonymous's Response

thanks, pls suggest what surgerys can be done n what r pros and cons of surgery.

Answered: Tue, 16 Mar 2010
  Anonymous's Response

So your problem is that your affected leg is short? For this you may be offered a limb lenghtening surgery, wherin the leg bone will be fractured pulled a little apart & secured till bone grows into the defect. But Im not sure if this would be offered for a paralytic leg. It all depends on the Doctors assesment. All the best.

Answered: Thu, 18 Mar 2010
  Anonymous's Response

Along with this, tendon lengthening and nerve grafting may prove useful.

Answered: Thu, 18 Mar 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor