Can stress cause a stroke?

can stress cause a stroke in a man? My husband has been holding his left arm and chest. He has been really stress due to kids and work. we both have a lot of stress in our life s and we have been working together to lower the stress intake in our family but it keeps getting really bad. what can I do to help him from having a stroke?
Fri, 7 Oct 2016
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
**
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health concern

1. Yes, stress can cause stress, recent study have suggested 'psychological stress' to be one of the cause of getting stroke by increasing the blood pressure, causing abnormal lipid profile [high cholesterol], and if the person is suffering from any associated disease like being overweight,is diabetic, smoker,have heart/arterial disease then chances increase many fold

2. You need to see a Neurologist who will ask for CT brain to exclude the possibility of Stroke and if present what is the nature of stroke, i.e. whether it is ischemic,hemorrhagic or transient for treatment purpose. [since treatment of ischemic/hemorrhagic stroke is different thus possible only in hospital setting]

3. The best way to prevent stroke is to address the underlying issues, i.e:

. Eat a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight
. Regular Exercise
. Avoid Addiction [especially smoking
. Avoid saturated fat and minimal use of salt
. keep a regular check on blood pressure and blood sugar level

4. Prescription drugs available are: smritisagar ras, trifla churan,brihat vata chintamani ras,ghritkumari,ashwagandha,brahmi,jatamansi, stresscom.

5. You can practice: bhujangasana,halasana, paschimottasana, sarvangasana, shalabhasana, shavasana and vakrasana and pranayamas like bhastrika and kapalbhati.

6. Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest.