Can statins cause permanent damage to muscles?

Previously my doctor put me on Lovastatin. After suffering muscle pains, I discovered that a possible side-effect of the drug was muscle pain due to deteriorationof tissue (muscle). He took me off it immediately. Recently My LDL was elevated and he wants to put me n a different statin, rosuvastatin 10mg. To my knowledge all statins run the risk of tissue damage and want to know if that is true and whether I am setting myself up for another bout of chronbic muscle pain.
Mon, 9 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Yes,statins can cause rhabdomyolysis which is a damage of the muscles.
This is why one of the most common complaints of people taking statins is muscle pain.
You should consult your doctor about this worry and consider an alternative medication.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.