• question-icon

Can stabbing pain in legs be due to endovascular surgery?

I am 58, 5 2 , 150 lbs, female with history of PAD (claudication in both legs) fifteen years ago. Angioplasty to open arteries in both legs. I recently had endovascular surgery to repair triple AAA. Lower extremities began to bother me (burning while walking, stop, rest, resume walking), more particularly, stabbing pain in right leg, mid way between knee and ankle (shin area). Had lower extremity arterial ultrasound. Doctor called and said numbers are good. I received a copy of the report. Normal........ except in the distal right anterior tibial that is difficult to visualize . Is that particular artery difficult to see on all ultrasounds? Seems that this area is where I am having the most difficulty with stabbing pain. I found it odd that when I spoke with the doctor on the phone, he didn t mention it and didn t request additional testing.
Mon, 6 Mar 2017
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I carefully read your question and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to low blood perfusion in this area.

Regarding the Doppler ultrasound, I would explain that sometimes vessels can not be visualized properly.

But, considering the fact that your symptoms are located in this region, I would recommend repeating the Doppler ultrasound or performing an Angio CT scan of the lower limb vessels.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri