Can spironolactone cause any side effects as increase in the estrogen?

I am currently taking spironolactone for my acne. I take two 25mg tablets both in the morning and at night, totaling 100mg per day. I know a side effect is that it increases the estrogen in the body. My mother passed away from ovarian cancer and my aunt from breast cancer. I realize that an increase of estrogen in the body can increase the risk for certain types of cancers. Should I stop taking the medication?
Tue, 30 Apr 2019

Spironolactone does not so much increase estrogen in the body as it blocks the action and production of androgens such as testosterone. For that reason, there is no clear evidence that spironolactone causes an increased risk for estrogen-dependent cancers such as breast cancer. Therefore, I would consider it a safe medication and would not be concerned about taking it.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Aaron Branch, General & Family Physician