Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Can screaming hurt my eardrum ?

I am 27 years (running) , Female, i have rhinisitis problem, One day i screamed like anything (generally my voice is bit loud) and that day i screamed to the maximum level, later my throat got hurt and later it got cured , but that day my ear drum got hurt as well and am worried if i would have damged my ear drum???? is that possible...???? People say that , for people who have a loud voice , they might end up in hearing loss and also when ever i blow my nose i hear a squeaky noisein my ear, and also after that screaming incident am really worried , help me ... pls answer my doubts
Asked On : Wed, 8 Jun 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  2578
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
There is a tube connecting the back roof of your mouth to the middle chamber of your ear, the purpose being to balance the pressure on both sides of the ear drum. Blowing your nose will usually give you squeaky sound, and it is not abnormal. People who have hearing problem tend to speak more loudly. Screaming does have effect on your ear. Constant exposure to high decibels of sound does reduce our hearing sensitivity. If you feel that your hearing is affected, best way to test is to compare your hearing level in both ears while your listening over a phone and if it is muted, do consult an ENT surgeon who will do the necessary testing and if indicated even advice for an audiometry.
Answered: Wed, 8 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
As you have hearing problem may be due to infection in throat and in the ear.swelling in the ear causing oedema on the drunm causing temporary impairment in hearing.
But as you talked very loudly it is possible that negative pressure created in the ear and might have damaged the drum.
Consult ENT sp and seek his advice.
Answered: Wed, 8 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor