Can rheumatoid arthritis cause discomfort in the joints?

Hi! I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis about 10 years ago, and I recently started experiencing a strange kind of shock or sting in certain joints (where my arthritis is the worst) when I move them or touch them. Is this a related symptom and should I be concerned?
Thu, 21 Mar 2019
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response

As you been diagnosed with RA did you ever performed exercises for strengthening the muscle groups, improve the ROM of the joints? Of course, you will be under medication but then exercise has beneficial results over the RA symptoms.

If you fail to improve the muscle strength then chances for small joints to undergo deformation is possible which I don't wish for you and reduce the metabolism if exercise is not performed for overall well being.

In my clinical practice of over 12 years, most patients seen till the date of RA are advised to continue medicine along with exercises.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Jay Indravadan Patel, Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Jay Indravadan Patel's  Response

As you having RA in the past this is the effect of the same. You need to restart the medication under the eye of the rheumatologist and exercise daily to avoid any joint deformity.

Until the joints are having a good range of motion there mobility is ensured. Once they get deformed it is painful and also difficult to treat. Because it will be too painful.

Please take advice from a local rheumatologist who can help you with medicine and a physiotherapist who can focus on your joints to make them improve and pain-free.

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Gopal Goel's  Response

In all probability, this symptom is connected to other health problems and could be due to some vitamin deficiency. You should be concerned and consult your doctor ASAP.

Dr. Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon