Can overdose of medicine cause blood clots leading to death?

My mom died suddenly and I m having a hard time understanding. She did abuse RX medications and I m afraid she overdosed. No optopsy was done they said heart attck was the cause. She had stuff coming from her mouth and nose when she died. She has also had a history of blood clots. So I guess my question is could she of died from a blood clot and still have this foamy stuff from mouth and nose? I know I will never know for sure but I think she did overdose and that really is hard for me. She also slept the whole day before she died if that makes a difference
Thu, 11 Sep 2014
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response
No.
You did not say "Blood coming from mouth and lungs" which often would be the case with blood clots to lungs, causing the lung to die off and bleed. OR.... there would be a sudden loss of blood pressure with a blood clot to the lung and people just die.
With narcotic overdoses there is frequently vomiting with stuff coming from the lung and nose
We will never know absolutely. But the best guess is overdose.
Narcotics are quite gentle on the heart and lung VESSELS, but lowers heart rate and breathing rate which is often fatal.
Sorry.