Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Can opticians check for broken glass in eye?

My daughter who is 10 and wears glasses bumped into a bench 2 days ago and didnt tell me, and her glasses AAAAAAA into one of her eyes, I noticed it was red underneath, and she says it hurts when she shuts them. We have an appointment already at the opticians tomorrow, can they check to see if its ok there or will I have to go to a doctor to get it checked?
Asked On : Mon, 26 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  60
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
As an emergency, you can get it checked with him to find the cause of her discomfort. A good optician must be able to find out any dust particle( foreign body) inside the eye with a slit lamp microscope examination and even remove them if superficial and safe.

But it is always better to have an ophthalmologist opinion at the earliest,for a detailed dilated examination of the eye as done in any case of any ocular injury.

Answered: Sun, 6 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan's  Response
Hi there,
It would be best if you take your child to an eye doctor(ophthalmologist) as early as possible , since they are specialists in this field. She could be having an ocular foreign body ( glass piece / foreign body in the eye) or it could be due to the impact (blunt trauma) to the eye. Best to visit an eye doctor. Hope this helps :)
Answered: Mon, 26 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor