• question-icon

Can occasional usage of THC be detected in the drug test?

I have a question regarding hair follicle testing, if chest hair is given as a sample and as not smoked marijuana in 200 days, and prior to was an ocassional user would THC show up in the drug test. I am 39 years of age, 5 9 190lbs, in good health. Body hair grows slower than head hair and if the company is testing for 90 days how do the detection times work for chest hair.
Fri, 11 Sep 2015
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response
That's a real stretch to detect. First, with less than daily use or at least not huge regular binges, marijuana does not build up in the system and is cleared in about a week (maybe less). The use does go into the hair at the time it was in the blood. But, it would not extend PAST that period. One would expect hair to grow at about 1/2 to 1 inch a month, so, at 6 months if the chest hair is less than 3 inches long, it seems unlikely to have marijuana in it from > 200 days ago.