Can norethisteron cause any side effect?

I ve been prescribed Norethisterone to delay my period for my holiday. If I take it the month before I go, is it possible to change the due date of the period I am trying to avoid so that I don t have to take the pills on my holiday? I am just concerned that I may get headache side effects from the drug. Thanks
Thu, 26 Aug 2021

Norethisterone, a natural female sex hormone that is used in the treatment of various menstrual problems like irregular, heavy or prolonged bleeding during menstrual periods, premenstrual syndrome or PMS, endometriosis etc. It can also delay your regular menstrual cycle. You should start taking this medication 3 days before your menstrual cycle is due and you can take one tablet 3 times daily for up to 17-20 days. To delay your menstrual cycle, you can take this medication for up to 17 days' delay.

You should begin to bleed 2-4 days after stop taking this medication. Sometimes, it may take 7 days to resume menstrual cycle. But, like other medications, this medication has some side effects of its own. Side effects of this medication are headache, sweating, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, abdominal pain, bloating, GIT upset, breast tenderness and enlargement, mood swings, depression, fatigue, weakness and tiredness, impaired wound healing, changes in sleep patterns, facial hair growth, dryness of mouth, changes in sexual drive, allergic reactions etc.

These side effects are mild as well as self limiting and go away over time without any medical treatment. If the side effects bother you, then consult your doctor.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Zubayer Alam, General And Family Physician