• question-icon

Can nephrectomy cause unusual weight gain?

I had a diverticulum with 80 stones removed from my left kidney and a partial nephrectomy in Feb of this year.
I am experiencing what seems to be water weight gain around my waistline and upper thighs. It accumulates during the day and after I have slept and gotten up during the night to urinate, it is gone by the morning and then starts all over again the next day.
Tue, 29 Dec 2015
Radiologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.

It is important to know your renal function status and if there is any abnormal renal function due to the stones. Fluid gain can occur in people with kidney disorders and this is treated with diuretics and medicines to improve kidney function. Usually stones do not cause any such problem but if you had many stones and left partial nephrectomy was done then it is important to do kidney function tests regularly.

Any condition related to your heart and liver should be evaluated because fluid accumulation usually occurs in kidney, heart and liver disorders. However it does not mean that you have any disorder. Excess fluid drinking can cause fluid overload but it will not appear the way mentioned by you.

Another problem causing swelling around thighs and legs is decreased venous return from the legs. This is known to cause swelling of the thigh and legs in the evening and night and disappears in the morning. This is to be confirmed after doing venous Doppler scan of lower limbs. If this is causing your problem then please avoid standing for long hours during the day and elevated foot end in the bed. Please do not worry