Can mild spinal stenosis cause intense sciatic nerve pain?

hello,I am 81 yrs old and never have had medical issues. when I tripped & stumbled I had to go to er room due to the pain. I was referred for mri which showed spinal stenosis, narrowing of the spine. from my 8 months of therapy, pain meds, & doctor appts. I have been diagnosed with radititiicus, lumbosacral/ static nerve pain. question is my spinal stenosis partly to blame for sciatic issue or can I attribute most of pain to trip? even though severe stenosis was noted in the mri I didn t have pain & medical problems until the trip/stumble occurred.
Tue, 29 Jan 2019

Spinal stenosis might press the nerves exiting through the spinal cord and cause severe pain.

You can consider analgesics like gabapentin for symptomatic relief.

If symptoms persist better to consult an orthopedician and get evaluated.

In severe cases steroid injection to the spine is required.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Shinas Hussain,