• question-icon

Can medication cause anaemia?

I have been taking Exforge HCT 5-160=12.5 mg for 12 months and my blood tests results show that I am lacking in salt and I am anaemic. I have never had these conditions before. Could these be caused by Exforge. For the past week I have been taking Exforge 5.80 mg until my next blood test at the end of January.
Mon, 6 May 2019

Exforge is a combination drug used for the treatment of hypertension and has common side effects-
dizziness,
spinning sensation, or lightheadedness as your body adjusts to the medication.
swelling hands/ankles/feet,
fainting,
fast heartbeat,
unusual change in the amount of urine,
symptoms of a high potassium blood level (such as muscle weakness, slow/irregular heartbeat). It does not cause anemia.
Lack of salt is attributable to exforge HCT as diuretics remove salt and water from our body.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. AJEET SINGH, General & Family Physician