Can long term usage of Benadryl as sleeping aid have side effects?

Hi Doctor. For more than 20 years I ve only been able to sleep from 3 to 5 hours per night with 4 to 4 1/2 as average. 6 months ago I noticed that I was able to sleep 6 or more hours by taking 2 benadryl before bed and I m now using it every night and average 7 or 8 hours. My question is whether long term use (2 per day) as a sleep aid is worse than only sleeping 3 to 5 hours without it. As a side note, I m now unable to fall asleep or stay asleep without it. Thanks. Steve
Tue, 17 Jan 2017