Can kids have strokes ?

can kids have strokes ?
Tue, 23 Apr 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Neurologist 's  Response
Yes kids can have stroke. Stroke can happen at any point in a person’s lifetime, from infancy and childhood to adulthood. A stroke is caused by the interruption of normal flow of blood to the brain, either by a blockage or a rupture in the blood vessels. When a part of the brain doesn’t receive its regular flow of blood that carries vital nutrients and oxygen, brain cells die, causing a loss of brain function.

The age of the child at the time of stroke makes a difference in how doctors identify and treat the problem. Stroke can occur in these three different age groups:

The prenatal phase, or in the womb.
The first 28 days of life, or newborn phase.
The infant years up to 18 years of age.
Stroke is relatively more common in the first two age groups, occurring in up to one in every 4,000 live births. In the third age group, stroke is more rare, only affecting about five out of every 100,000 children each year in Canada.

The location in the brain the stroke takes place will determine the extent of the damage and the after-effects, if any.

Children may experience two types of stroke: hemorrhagic stroke (rupturing of blood vessels), or ischemic stroke (blockage caused by a blood clot)Cardiac and hypercoaguble state, sickle disease are common causes
yes children can have strokes but it is not as comman as the average adult or teenager can have such a stroke