• question-icon

Can i use vagifem for vaginal atrophy and urinary leakage inspite of having history for vaso vagal episode?

Hi, I had a hysterectomy 12 years ago, ovaries out as well. My doctor put me on high dose oral premarin 0.625mg for 10 of those 12 years. I became concerned about being on it so long and the dose was decreased to 0.3mg. then last year (age 53) I had an episode of blurred vision and dizziness. After the work up, a stroke was ruled out and they called it either a vaso vagul episode or a TIA. Was taken off estrogen cold turkey, after a miserable time with hot flashes, I m finally slowing down and the flashes are fewer. I am having a problem now with vaginal atrophy and urinary leakage. My doctor gave me 10mcg vagifem. I haven t started using it yet. Do you think I should use it considering the backround given? If so, how long should I continue to use it before I have to stop? I am a non smoker, no history of heart disease or high blood pressure, I am over weight.
Thu, 5 Dec 2019

This is called Urinary incontinence which the loss of bladder control. This is a common and often embarrassing problem.

The severity ranges from occasionally leaking urine when you cough or sneeze to having an urge to urinate that's so sudden and strong you don't get to a toilet in time.

If urinary incontinence affects your daily activities, don't hesitate to see your doctor.

For most people, simple lifestyle changes or medical treatment can ease discomfort or stop urinary incontinence. Pelvic floor muscle exercises or electrostimulation may be required in severe cases.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Iven Romic Rommstein, General Surgeon