Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Can i give Zanocin to my 1 year old baby for dysentry and fever ?

My Daughter 1 yr old. She got dysentry and fever . Doctor Prescribed Zanocin Liquid 100mg/ 5ml daily twice morning and night for 5 days. Can i give this whenever i suffer like this.Any side affect in that. They suggest me to give for 5 days can i give for 2 days is it enough?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Aug 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  2721
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for query,
You should not use zanocin without doctor's advice as it is an antibiotic .
Once you start you finish the course and do not use as and when you think.
Reccurent use of antibiotic get resistant to bacteria and loses its efficacy.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Wed, 10 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
hi welcome to health care should continue it for 5days,you have to complete the course.usually it is batter to give anything after doc advice avoid self medication.along with these also give her ors for proper hyderation.
Answered: Wed, 10 Aug 2011
General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Dilip Vakade's  Response
Hi Sumathi,
Zanocin Liquid 100mg/5ml is a pediatric formulation only for kids.The adult doses are higher than this.The most important cause of diarrhoea in Kids are rotaviral infections which can be treated bt Oral rehydration fluids alone, however if there is a suspicion of a bacterial cause, an antibiotic like ofloxacin can be added. The minimum duration of antibiotic use is usually 5 days, so its recommended that you give zanocin for 5 days. This is done to avoid bacterial resistance development. Hope that answers the question
Answered: Wed, 10 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor