Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Can i get lung cancer if i started smoking from the age of 12 ?

Hi doctor , I am 16 i started smoking cigarettes at the age of 12 . I am going to be 17 in september, i was wondering if i could end up with lung cancer if one of my parents had it .
Asked On : Tue, 26 Apr 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  139
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response
i have lung cancer
Answered: Wed, 15 Jun 2011
ENT Specialist Dr. Sumit Bhatti's  Response
1. You should quit smoking as soon as possible because your risk of developing lung cancer, especially the NSCLC (Non Small Cell Lung Carcinoma) is already double that of a normal person because you have a positive family history.
2. For a normal person without any additional environmental and genetic predisposition, the risk of developing lung cancer equates to fifty pack years of smoking (smoking a pack of cigarettes per day for fifty years).
3. Lung cancer can also happen to people who don't smoke. However, early detection is the key to successful treatment.
Answered: Tue, 26 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor