Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Can i ask a doctor about recovery from chronic depression ?

My mother is suffering from Chronic depression Our doctor has been trying different drugs in last 12 months but there is no relief We now fear that due to this trial her body may lose the ability to react to any drug Kindly suggest what can be done Should we consult another expert
Asked On : Tue, 29 Mar 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response

Your mother may be suffering from what we call 'treatment resistant depression'. So, she may be resistant to usual anti-depressants and that's probably why the doctor's trials are not working. In such cases, there are some other modes of treatment that might help. Some of them are psychotherapy, thyroid hormones supplementation, mood stabilizer drugs, etc. You can discuss these options with the doctor. Consulting another expert might not be necessary.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
Answered: Wed, 6 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor