Can hypothyroidism cause lump in neck?

Hi my scalp has been extremely itchy this past week and I found a rock hard and tender lump on back of my head.I also have one on back of neck and behind ear,all on the left side.I have hyperthyroidism and take medicine for it and wonder could it be my lymph nodes are swollen? Thank you
Thu, 23 Jun 2016
Hematologist 's  Response
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
You have tender lump on back of your head and back of neck behind ear.
Your thyroid disease has no relation with that.

Your lump can be enlarged lymphnode due to reactive hyperplasia, tuberculosis or rarely lymphoma. Or it can be some soft tissue tumour or cyst.

You should go for fine needle aspiration cytology of that lump. It will give you exact idea. Then you should take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer.
Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.