• question-icon

Can hormonal imbalance cause high blood pressure ? How can blood pressure be lowered naturally ?

High blood pressure after marina removal I am a white female age 34 and I have a history of High blood pressure I was on lisinopril which was fine but wanted something that didnt interfere with pregnancy So I switched to methyldopa Was doing fine on it as far as I know until I got the merina taken out Now my blood pressure is consistently above 150/100. My question is could the HBP be related to homonal imbalance? and what can I take naturally that will lower the blood pressure within hours?
Thu, 19 Jan 2012
Since you are prone to have high blood pressure, anything which further raises blood pressure is not safe for use. Mirena is a device placed within the uterus. It releases a hormone (progesterone) slowly and prevents ovulation, thus it is useful as a contraceptive. Now your blood pressure has risen because of the change from Lisinopril to Methyldopa, not because Mirena was removed. Progestogens can elevate BP if people are prone to HBP from before, so removing the Mirena should have controlled your BP. If you are planning for pregnancy, start taking Folic Acid and Calcium, meet your doctor in order to adjust the dose of methyldopa, modify your diet, exercise pattern, weight, sleep and stress levels. You need to be tested for secondary causes of hypertension and treatments will depend on the condition detected, if any. All the best.