Can diabetes cause stress,depression,anxiety and tiredness?

This is out of despiration. I think i might have diabetes. My history. 2007 i was diagnosed with severe depression, I have a stress and anxiety problem. The last 3 years, i have been very tired, and it only gets worser and worser. All of the docters just gave me vitamins. I tried to sleep more and less but did nt work. I am currently in gr12. In the morning classes until about 10 o clock i fall asleep in the classes even in tests while i write. I realised that i continue to write even when i am asleep. Because i can feel when i wake up suddenly, then i cant remember writing the things i did. I even sometimes dream when sleeping in class while working. I sleep most of the times in the afternoon after school, because then i am so tired i can t concentrate on my home work. When nobody wakes me, i will sleep for 3hours or more without waking up. But i try to sleep only an hour or less in the day. There are days that i am so tired, that my heart starts to pound when i climb the stairs, and it feel that my legs are going to give in under me, and then i am out of breath but not so that any one can notice, i can only feel it. I have never fainted in my life, and are not over or under wheight. My eating habits is good, and i eat 4 times a day. About a month ago, i was diagnosed with low blood preassure, i am on medication and it went well for a week or 2. Full of energy, now that i am back at school and my blood preasure is normal its the same again. It is starting to influence my school work. The reasons why i think i might have diabetes is my symtoms are tiredness, frequent bladder infections but not serious, heart pouding, my hands and feet sweat very much in winter. I dont really sweat. When i dont drink my vitamin c pills i get sores in my mouth and throught. I am despirate to get help. We dont have an medical aid so tests must be limited. kathleen (19)
Wed, 27 Aug 2014
Hello Kathleen,

I can understand what you are going through. Are you taking any medicines for the depression that was diagnosed? If you do not sleep well at night, you feel tired and may drop off to sleep. Another cause is a problem called 'Sleep apnoea' This is usually associated with snoring and being overweight or obese.
If you snore, sleeping on the side improves it to some extent.
Diabetes can cause depression and depression is one of the precipitating factors for diabetes. Your sweaty palms point more towards anxiety and it often co-exists with depression.
The diagnosis of diabetes is easy. Do blood sugars in the fasting state and 2 hours after a good meal. The normal values are below 100mg/dl fasting and 140mg/dl after food. You have diabetes if either the fasting is above 126mg/dl or after food is above 200mg/dl. If your values are above normal but below the diabetes range you have pre-diabetes.
Exercising, stress relieving measures like yoga, meditation, interaction with friends and family will help you fight the anxiety and depression.
Please continue to see the psychiatrist/ doctor who diagnosed you to have depression and take the medicines and other measures advised by him/her.
I shall be happy to answer if you have further queries.
Hope you will get well soon.
Dr. Noble Zachariah