Can diabetes be treated without insulin ?

my mother having diabetes ......now she is taking insuline.. can she stop and take other trestment now?
Mon, 1 Jul 2013
Drug/Medication ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  
Diabetologist 's  Response
DEAR SIR/MADAM

IF YOUR MOTHER IS HAVING SEVERE INSULINOPENIA, THAT IS DECREASE INSULIN PRODUCTION IN THE BODY THEN SHE NEEDS TO TAKE IT, IF SHE LEAVES IT THEN HER QUALITY OF LIFE WILL DOWNFALL.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE BODY WEIGHT, SUGAR LEVELS ETC.

IF SHE IS OBESE THEN SHE CAN THINK OF TAKING METFORMIN, BUT IF SHE HAS ALREADY TRIED THESE WITH OUT SUCCUSS, THEN SHE NEEDS TO CONTINUE INSULIN.

THANKS
Endocrinologist Dr. A. K. Baliarsinha's  Response
If your mothers diabetes is more than 15 years duration possibly your mother has gone to beta cell failure. In that case it may not be possible to avoid insulin.Prior to omitting insuli many aspects to be looked for. It is only your endocrinologist can decide. One thing must be looked into that the patient must be regular on drugs, diet control and regular exercise. Thanks Dr.A.K.Baliarsinha.
Diabetologist Dr. Sudharshan's  Response
Hi, if your mother has to stop insulin, it is possible if her lifestyle is good, regular walking, diabetic diet and her blood sugar levels are good with only tablets, she should not have any infection, not obese, regular follow-up with your doctor for monitoring.
Welcome to health care magic
first thing what we need to know is how much insuline she is taking & what is the sugar level in blood.
she may can control her diabetes on diet and then slowly she can stop taking insulin and start some other treatment.

DR. ARUN THEJAUS