• question-icon

Can bupropion HCl cause plantar fasciitis or neuropathy?

Can bupropion HCL xl be the cause of my having plantar fascitis or neuropathy? I have taken bupropion HCl xl 300 mg for app. 5 to 6 years. I am 58 yrs old. I have had plantar fascitis for 4 or more years and have had surgery on my right foot. I started taking bupropion because I had to force myself to go to work and I ask the Dr. to for an antidepressant the would not make me gain weight. I am now retired and my feet have gotten worse not better. What major withdrawal symptoms can I expect if i decide to quit taking buproprion? Once you have neuopathy can you reverse it if it is cause by a drug?
Wed, 21 Nov 2018
Neurologist 's  Response

It is possible that bupropion can be causing neuronal dysfunction or neuropathy but that would best be a call made by a neurologist after examining you who can know also the symptoms and the history of evolution.

Many times when medications are responsible for causing side effects such as neuropathy then, stopping the medications often relieves the symptoms.

In some cases, it does not... hard to predict which scenario you fit into without examining you, however, the first step is to let your doctor know what's going on if they are ones who prescribed the drug in the first place.

I am not aware that plantar fasciitis is a direct consequence of bupropion but it could be indirectly caused if reduction in pain symptoms in the foot and/or neuropathy allowed you to walk greater distances which in turn could've helped precipitate the fasciitis problem.

However, again, this would be a call best made by a physician who had the advantage of examining you.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dariush Saghafi,
Neurologist