Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Can an online doctor help me for the pain in my knees as I've gone for many suggestions with no help

Hello, I am a 31 yr old female, in good health, on no medications. For years I have been physically active--running, use stairclimber, elliptical machine, kickboxing , etc. One year ago, I started having slight pain in my knee (inside cap). Saw an ortho who recommended ice, rest and wearing brace when resuming activities. Soon, I was having pain in other knee and both were worsening. Doc prescribed 3 month phys therapy and rest/ice. I completed therapy with little to no improvement that could be acheived with simple rest. With any activity, even walking, I have pain and have not been able to resume my former activities. I ve seen another MD who offered scope procedure, but was not optimistic it would help. I received cortisone shots in both knees that help momentarily. I am very frustrated and will be seeing yet another doc, but wonder if I might be dealing with something else. X-rays indicate that my joints are healthy, but will they stay that way and am I damaging the cartilage? Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Apr 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  80
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
from the statement it seems you are having ostearthritis both knee
soft tissues are also involved in the process
it may be some other form of arthritis .
rheumatoid to be ruled out
consult orthopedic surgeon/rheumatologist and get the tests done including a m r i
with proper treatment you will be all right
Answered: Thu, 28 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Vikas Dwivedi's  Response
welcum to healthcaremagic
ur problem seems to be a chondromalaciapatella or runners knee or patellofemoral syndrome.
u mentioned that x-rays r normal, that means its not a degenerative arthritis.
first u check whether ur clark sign is positive or not , if positive then 101% this is patellofemoral syndrome. for that u hv to do vigrous stretches. of following muscles.
hamstring.....30 sec hold 3 sets
tensor facia lata 30 sec hold 3 sets.
and after that u hv to strenthen ur VMO(VASTUS MEDIALIS OBLIQUE). most important is vmo strenthening.
definitely ur pain will cum down
tk cr
Answered: Fri, 29 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor